An Abdominal Aorta Duplex uses ultrasound to evaluate the blood flow through the aorta. The aorta is the large artery that takes blood from the heart to the entire body. This non-invasive test does not use needles, drugs or dyes. The test will be performed by a highly skilled ultrasound technologist.
Gel is placed on the skin over the area to be studied. A hand held transducer, is used to make the pictures. The pictures will show the walls of the aorta and the blood flow through the aorta. Measurements will be taken to evaluate the size of the aorta. The doctor may order additional testing if this study is abnormal.
- Allow 1 hour for the test.
- Wear two-piece clothing.
- Take all of your regular medications, unless otherwise instructed by your physician.
- Do not eat or drink anything after midnight the night before the test.
- Your physician will be notified of the results.
- If you need to reschedule the test or have any questions regarding these instructions, please call our office.